top of page

Auto Insurance

Auto Insurance Coverages

Below are brief explanations of the coverages provided under a personal auto policy (PAP) - please speak with your insurance agent regarding your individual policy limits and coverage.

  • Liability Coverage – Bodily Injury and Property Damage

    • The bodily injury (BI) and property damage (PD) coverages on your personal auto policy protect you in the event you are liable for causing injury to another person (driver and/or their passengers) or damage to their vehicle or property (mailbox, fence, etc.).  Can be purchased as split limits or as a combined single limit:

Split Limits

Split limits are shown as three numbers (1/2/3).  They are “split” per person and per accident:​​

  • bodily injury – per person

  • bodily injury – per accident

  • property damage

Example: $250,000 (bodily injury per person) / $500,000 (bodily injury per accident) / $100,000 (property damage) 

Combined Single Limit (CSL)

Shown as one number.  Combines bodily injury and property damage limits, therefore this limit is the total payout of all damages resulting from any one accident.

Example: $500,000 CSL

  • Personal Injury Protection Coverage or “No-Fault Insurance”

    • Personal injury protection (PIP) is available in certain states, including New York.  This coverage protects you in the event you are disabled or unable to work due to an auto accident.  This coverage also extends to your passengers.  We always recommend maxing out your PIP limit ($150,000 in NYS).

  • Medical Payments Coverage

    • Medical payments coverage protects you regardless of who is at fault.  It extends to the cost of reasonable and necessary medical care needed due to an accident.  This coverage is typically limited to a time period after the accident – usually 3 years.


  • Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage

    • Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage protects you and your passengers against the damages you are legally entitled to receive for bodily injury or property damage when the “at fault” driver doesn’t have insurance or if his/her limits are inadequate

  • Collision Coverage

    • Collision coverage protects your vehicle if it overturns or collides with another vehicle or object (guard rail, building/structure, pothole, tree, etc.).  Any payout is subject to your deductible. 

      • Example: You are involved in a crash or “collision” with another car that results in $10,000 in damage to your vehicle – both drivers are at fault.  Your deductible is $500.  Your policy will pay $9,500 ($10,000-$500=$9,500).

  • Comprehensive Coverage

    • Comprehensive coverage protects your vehicle if it is damaged by something other than a collision – fire, theft, hail, vandalism, flood, hit an animal (deer), tree falls, etc.  Any payout is subject to your deductible. 

      • Example: A tree falls on your car and causes $5,000 in damage.  Your deductible is $1,000.  Your policy will pay $4,000. $10,000-$500=$9,500.


  • Rental Reimbursement

    • Rental reimbursement coverage will reimburse you for a rental car while your vehicle is being repaired.  This coverage is limited to 30 days and subject to the maximum per day amount on your policy.


  • Roadside Assistance

    • Roadside assistance coverage covers labor costs incurred at the place where your vehicle is disabled and the towing costs

Important Notes on Liability Coverage

New York State requires all drivers to carry a minimum of $25,000 per person / $50,000 per accident / $10,000 property damage.  Brooks Robb & Callahan​ does not recommend these limits as the payout from bodily injury and property damage will likely (far) exceed these limits in the event of a remotely serious accident.​


Per Kelly Blue Book, the average price of a car in 2020 was over $37,000, well above the $10,000 property limit.  Imagine if you caused an accident involving multiple cars...  In addition, medical bills can far exceed this amount.


We caution our insureds from cutting back on their auto insurance limits in an effort to save money


To qualify for umbrella coverage with our carriers (and most carriers), drivers are required to carry minimum split limits of $250,000 / $500,000 / $100,000 or $300,000 combined single limit

bottom of page